Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Globe Theatre Creative Response

My heart began to race as looked up through the bustling crowds and my eyes caught the top of the Globe Theatre.  There was one thought on my mind: I would be inside this theatre for the first time in my life in less than ten minutes observing Shakespeare’s play, Henry VIII.  I had heard of the astounding playwrights and acting that took place inside this small arena, and it was now my day to experience it firsthand.  Over the city noise, I heard a man yelling, “Just five cents to sit on the stage of the Globe Theatre this afternoon!  Five cents!”  Even though this was a lot of money, it was a once in a lifetime chance for me, and I had to take advantage.  I ran over and handed the man my money, and he directed me to the opening which would lead me straight to the front.  Men, women, even small children were fighting to get to the front.  My adrenaline got the best of me and I got on my knees in order to crawl below the crowd.  Before I knew it, I was touching the front of the stage and found a suitable opening where I could sit.  As I sat, I looked out on the crowd; the mass amount of people was something I’ve never seen before.  There were hundreds of London citizens who were as excited about Shakespeare’s great plays as I was.  Before I knew it, the whole theatre grew silent and the actors took their places on stage.  The energy in their movements and the strength in the words they were saying took my breathe away.  It seemed almost as if this was not a play, but a real life situation we were occurring.  The actors had a special aura that pulled the crowd in.  The emotions and feelings of each crowd member were made clear through laughing, sighing, and even crying.  From the peasants, to the middle class like me, all the way to the high class sitting in the balcony: we all seemed to become one in the same as we watched the play.  I was amazed at the atmosphere that was present in this place for those two and a half hours.  There was no doubt in my mind that Mr. William Shakespeare had a way with words and had the ability to realize a person’s true feelings and emotions.  As the play ended and Mr. Shakespeare took the stage, the round of applause and standing ovation he received was sincere and necessary.  My experience on the stage up close to the actors was one that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,

    Good job on your first blog post! I particularly enjoyed your use of the on-stage seating detail, as well as the description of your narrator crawling through the crowd to reach her seat. In addition, your commentary on the appeal of Shakespeare's language to people of all classes and stations in life was a great insight into Shakespeare's universality. I look forward to reading more or your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete